Friday, September 20, 2013

Blog #3

Q1:
In regards to the MBTI learning style my four letter code was INFP. As I read through the description of this type quite a few aspects stood out to me and I could associate myself with them. Looking at each category specifically, and then seeing how they fit together as a whole is interesting; and i think helped me better understand myself. My first letter was "I" which stands for introvert. In general I am more internally focused, rather than external with my energy. However, I do enjoy social gatherings, but at the end of the day I appreciate calmness as a way to relax and recharge. Furthermore some of my dominant qualities are that I listen more than I talk and I tend to think before I act. I do value a smaller amount of interactions that contain depth and focus, rather than meaningless connections. While I generally have introvert like characteristics; there have been situations that I have had to step out of my comfort zone. For example in my internship, I served as a leader for a new group of interns and so I needed to assert myself more than I usually do. My second letter was "N" for intuitive. I deeply connect with this because I rely on trusting my hunch or intuition rather than what is practical. In society I think people often "play by the book" when they should take the opportunity to explore other options. As for my study ethics I tend to have work hard for certain amount of time and then need a break, and then continue in that cycle. Thirdly my letter was "F" for feeler. Out of all the categories I identify with this was is the strongest for me. I tend to be sensitive (more than I should be) and empathetic. My decisions are often based on values and needs. I feel like I am usually the person who feels bad for someone when not many other people understand where my sympathy comes from. I consider myself diplomatic in that I like to handle ordeals depending on the situation; not always the same way. Lastly my letter was "P" for perceiver. I think I can float between this and being a judger depending on the situation. For example i like to keep my options open but I don't like if I have to make tough choices between options. Also there are certain things that I want to be set and stone and I am easily upset if they are changed. However I do relate with the playful and spontaneous side of perceiver.

Q2
My results on the VARK were as follows:
Visual - 5
Aural - 7
Read/Write - 8
Kinesthetic - 7
Out of these scores I was most surprised to see that my visual score so low. I think it has to do with that although I would prefer to look at a diagram than read a paragraph I subconsciously learn better through the read/write style. It is true that copying notes works best for me and I do really enjoying reading. I would consider myself multi-modal because my top three scores are all so closed together. My challenge in college with be to take from all these different styles and adapt it to each of classes. For math it will help me if I do a certain type of problem over and over again. For philosophy it will be helpful for me to make a chart of how all the information connects to each other. For GEL, reading the book before doing the aplia assignments should be enough to be successful. Lastly for my Spanish class a mix, of reading, rewriting my notes, and charts will be the best for me.

1 comment:

  1. After this exercise in class, I really wanted to see how other people matched with their 4-letter scores in comparison to my own. Once I finished reading your blog I thought, "wow, this sounds EXACTLY how I am too", and that's just crazy to me. We received the same score and identify with the same qualities. The only place we didn't match in was in the VARK assessment.

    ReplyDelete